Monday, July 11, 2011

"BBQ Chicken Nachos" The Mews (Wakefield, RI)

Just got back to RI this week and have been spending a lot of time on the beach working on my glow...pretty much a bronze goddess at the moment.  And aside from the beach I've been dreaming of nachos and last night I went to the Mews, one of the best restaurants in RI, hands down-awesome vibe, great selection of food and 69 beers on tap!! Woooo can't beat that magic number.  Of course after ordering a little cocktail (Flirtini to be exact- it was delicious!!) I was starting to get the nacho munchies.  I decided I wanted to try the BBQ chicken nachos because I've tried all the other ones on the Mews' menu.  Now, I'm not the biggest BBQ fan, don't get me wrong I love a good breast of chicken marinated in BBQ sauce and grilled alongside a big ol' baked potato and corn on the cob in the summertime...I'm just not too fond of straight BBQ sauce all over my nachos.  I learned this last night.  In perfect Mews fashion the nachos were huge and they had all the toppings you could ever need-black beans, jack and cheddar cheeses, diced tomatoes, jalapenos, red onions (not my favorite), sour cream, salsa, shredded chicken and BBQ sauce.  I'll admit I was expecting the chicken to be doused in BBQ sauce, instead the BBQ sauce just seemed to be poured all over the top of the nachos.  This wasn't ideal, I would say the BBQ sauce overwhelmed the nachos.  It gave the nachos great flavor and it was surely something that I've never had on my nachos before, but it was just too much.  I would definitely recommend the nachos if you're a BBQ fan, but if not maybe asking for the sauce on the side could solve the problem.  I have three suggestions for the Mews-marinate the chicken in BBQ sauce, cut it in strips rather than shredding it and take the nachos out of the oven a little sooner because sometimes the nachos dry out.  All in all it was a great time at the Mews and the nachos really did hit the spot once you got below the first layer of BBQ madness.  Definitely something to try! I'm giving them a 7.9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment