Wednesday, June 20, 2012

"Lobstah Nachos" Diego's (Newport, RI)

Just celebrated my 23rd birthday on Saturday..nothing too exciting about this birthday..so we'll call it the 2nd anniversary of my 21st.  Was a chilly night..but decided to head on over to Newport for dinner and some drinks.  I have been dying to try Diego's on the wharf for a while now.  The menu always looked like fresh, Cali style, Mexican food- homemade guac, fish tacos, and lobster nachos (which my mouth has been watering over for months).  So we stopped in and put our name on the list and were told that it would be about a 30 min wait so we headed on over to the nearest bar and had some birthday Kamakazee shots and coronas while we waited.  The air only seemed colder as the sun had gone down by the time we returned to the restaurant, but my friends are troopers and said they'd stick it out as we were seated outside on the patio.  The chairs all came with blankets which was such a great surprise and really thoughtful of Diego.  We started with a pitcher of margs (delicious) and the lobstah nachos and I was giddy with anticipation.  The nachos arrived and they were beautiful, so colorful and attractive.  I was in heaven.  The first bite was delicious! Lots of lobster meat on every chip.  Flavorful guacamole, sour cream, salsa, baja aioli, cheese and scallions topped the freshhhh, crispy chips.  It was such an exotic and unique experience I can't wait to go back and have them again.  A taste I can't completely explain, but amazing none the less.  The only complaint I would have is that lobster juices made some of the chips at the bottom a little soggy, but that's hard to fix.  Definitely a standout in my nacho adventure.  I'd also recommend the chocolate and banana empanadas...mhmmmmmm.  I'm giving them both a 9.3/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment