Monday, July 1, 2013

Breadfruit Nachos (Maxwell, Barbados)

It has been a few months and I know I've been disappointing my thousands of followers haha..but finally I made breadfruit nachos.  I had been talking about making these little wonders since my friend Sonja was here in the fall.  I'm still here on the island..just finished up my last classes of graduate school and now I am waiting to hear back on an internship.  So to mediate all the stresses of waiting...don't have much...I recently made some breadfruit nachos.  Breadfruit is a native food to Barbados..it has a potato like taste and texture.  Breadfruits grow on trees here on the island and you either have to have a friend who's a great tree climber or be a very skillful rock thrower to get these babies down from a very tall tree.  Fortunately I know someone who climbs.  It was a rainy afternoon and Muamar and I decided to make some breadfruit chips.  Basically you cut open the green, ball shaped breadfruit and slice it into thin wedges..season with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders and fry on the stove.  The chips are amazing, nice and crunchy on the outside and still chewy and delicious on the inside.  We usually just dip them in mayo and ketchup...but I
wanted to add a few toppings to complete the nacho inspired dish. I added cheese, salsa and onion dip. Mhmmmm...not like any nachos I've had before.  They are truly a Bajan delicacy...because I would have never found breadfruit in the States.  Because I made them I'm a bit biased as to their score.  I would say 8.8/10. The chips are very sturdy and filling and the onion dip addition was a great experimental topping.  Still loving the island life..anyone is welcome to visit and I will whip these up for you upon arrival!

2 comments:

  1. u gota make me these when ur back

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to feature the Nachos at Don Jose's in Peovidence, RI. They are awesome!

    ReplyDelete