Monday, March 28, 2011

Clyde's "St. Patrick's Day Nachos" (Chinatown, DC)

Last Thursday happened to be one of my favorite holidays of the year, behind my birthday that is. It was St. Patrick's Day, I had just purchased some ridiculous 2 foot green and orange Dr. Seuss style hat off the street and been spray painted green by a homeless man so I decided it was time for dinner. My friend Maria gets to have the pleasure of celebrating this fine holiday along side her own birthday. She's one lucky girl. We had planned on going to an Irish pub for dinner, seeing as it only seemed right to have corn beef and green beer to celebrate March 17th, but of course there was a four hour wait and we were starved. We made our way over to Clyde's in Chinatown-it's a great restaurant, lots of options, nothing spectacular, but good ol' American food. There was a large group of us out that night and we decided appetizers would be too difficult/expensive to share amongst everyone. Well they decided. I had made up my mind-it was my second favorite holiday of the year and ninth down on the list of Starters was Chili Nachos and I was getting them. When it was my turn to order I think I turned some heads, as no one was expecting to have any appetizers that evening. But, when they arrived no one seemed hysterical that I had ordered them, after all how many pieces of bread can you have to trick yourself into thinking you're not starving. Mhmmm and they were great! Nice big pile of fresh, crunchy chips layered with a sweet, meaty chili, cheese, salsa, sliced jalapeƱos and sour cream. Now, the one thing I truly loved about these nachos was their size and the flavor of the chili. The nachos were big enough to allow everyone at our table of 10 quite a healthy sampling. The chili was wonderful, sweet and spicy at the same time. It's listed as ground beef on the menu, but it was definitely an authentic chili with beans. It's always a problem at the end when there are too many chips and not enough toppings, I never seem to mind it when the scenario is the opposite. This plate offered an overload of toppings, but they don't give you forks for nothing. So scoop it all up and enjoy. Definitely a great night out and that was only the appetizer. I give them a 8.3/10.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/super-nachos-recipe/index.html


    In case you feel daring...this is a recipe from Rachel Ray that lets you make your own pico de gallo and nachos.

    ReplyDelete