Thursday, August 11, 2011

Mohegan Cafe and Brewery (Block Island, RI)

Sail away on the Block Island ferry, eat some nachos at Mohegan Cafe, sail away Block Island awaits you, best snack on the island I say. Just got back from my annual trip out to Block Island.  I've been visiting this small piece of New England paradise for over 15 years and I usually make it a point to take the ferry over at least once every summer. This summer, however I went over with a mission.  I had never noticed before if any restaurants served nachos and this year I discovered that four of them did and of course I wanted to try all of them.  I researched the different restaurants, read their reviews and narrowed it down to the restaurant with the most raved about nachos which were said to be at the Mohegan Cafe and Brewery in Old Harbor.  Luckily my parents and my aunt and uncle are very supportive of my nacho obsession and agreed to go with me to try these notorious nachos.  When we arrived at the Mohegan Cafe we decided that we'd all try one of the locally brewed beers.  I opted for the beer infused with chili pepper- big mistake.  I thought that it would complement the nachos well, but it did not.  The beer was overwhelmingly sickly spicy.  It left a horrible taste my mouth and acidic feel to my stomach.  I should have gone with a shirley temple- never disappoints.  Only about 10 minutes after we ordered, the heaping plate of nachos arrived.  As you see above they had an abundance of toppings including cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, black olives, jalapenos, black beans, lettuce, salsa, sour cream and turkey chili with corn.  They were OUTstanding!  I have to admit I was very impressed. The portion was huge and nearly all chips were loaded with toppings.  The turkey chili was delicious and added a unique flavor and texture to the chips.  It was not too heavy, like some beef and bean chilis tend to be.  The salsa was great too, very fresh and sweet.  Hard to see in the picture, but the chips were tri-colored which added a little something extra and made the nachos really stand out. I was so glad that I had the chance to try these babies and may even have to take a second trip out before the summer's over for round two.  Definitely up there on the list! I'm giving them a 9.3/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment