Saturday, September 17, 2011

"Shrimp Nachos" Los Agaves (Santa Barbara, CA)


FINALLY something different!! At last I am able to add something new to my nacho topping belt-shrimp.   The family and I arrived in Cali on Tuesday to bring little Liz out to school and thus far the vacation has been nothing but a bundle of laughs. Just call us the Griswolds.  Well, first off the radio wasn't working in our rental car.  Now, you may say well then you should just talk to each other and to quit being so hooked on technology.  But, you try flying on a plane for eight hours and then sitting in a car for four and tell me you don't wish there was a little background noise.  There was a comment made about every single establishment we passed.  Hey look a Target, check out those pelicans, wow look at all these palm trees, look an Applebees, hey isn't that Beverly Hills?  Now, I get it we're in a new place and everything is exciting, but just because the back windows are tinted from the outside doesn't mean we can't see out of them.  Our next adventure was waiting in line at the Jay Leno show for 3 hours to realize that we were just ten minutes too late to actually get into the show and then make the four hour trek (there and back) the next day.  Well good news is we got in on Wednesday and actually were able to meet Jay at a red light on his way home after the show in his antique Bentley convertible.  So as my mother always says "it was meant to be."  On Thursday,  my Mom left her purse at a place we ate breakfast- meant to be huh?  You tell that to TSA when you're trying to get back to RI.   There was some stress later that day at UCSB's campus as Liz travelled from building to building attempting to tie up some loose ends so that she could actually begin school next week, she unfortunately discovered that all of the buildings on campus were closed.  Leave it to us Rosbottoms to wait until the absolute last minute for everything.  And finding a bed comforter, jesus, I have never seen someone take so long to decide on what should adorn their 5 inch dormitory mattress.  We visited 23 stores.  I wish I was kidding. But, finally the question was asked- "Kate what do you feel like doing?" I said, "I feel like eating." I had been doing some research on the local fare around here-imagine that me looking up restaurant menus and I found that Los Agaves was supposed to have the best Mexican food around.  So it was settled that's where we would go for dinner. It was a great little place where you ordered at the counter and then waited for the food to be brought to your table.  The menu had a variety of options including authentic Mexican favorites and a few new Mexican dishes that I'd never seen before. But, the dish that really caught my eye of course was nachos.  There were only two options: chicken or steak, but as we approached the counter the women behind the register mentioned that there was a shrimp option.  I looked at Liz with sparkles in my eyes and she knew- "We'll have the shrimp ones," she said.  The nachos arrived to our table only minutes later and they looked fantastic.  The chips tasted as if they had just been made- they were warm and crispy topped with refried beans, melted cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, amazingly fresh guacamole, beautifully marinated shrimp, and doused with sour cream. I'll admit as anxious as I have been to try different nacho varieties, I've always been wary of nachos covered in seafood, but the shrimp was delicious.  It had a light lemon marinade that combined very well with a chip piled high with toppings.  The guacamole was one of the best I'd ever had, not too salty and not too thick.  The cheese and refried beans could be found on every layer of the nachos and the sour cream did not overwhelm the dish as it sometimes does.  These nachos were absolutely fantastic!! They are very high on the list.  I'm giving them a 9.4/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment