Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Bat 17 (Evanston, IL) My first guest post by my good friend Eric Sveum!

I wish I could have captured the beauty of Evanston, IL’s Bat 17 nachos. Somehow though after maybe 2-3 minutes of being served they disappeared and what you see is all that was left.

Bat 17 is city-renowned for their massive sandwiches, but you would be making a grave mistake to not order these nachos (and then take your sandwich home in a box – seriously you will be full). Made with tortilla chips that are freshly baked in-restaurant each day they remained thin, crisp, warm and showed no sign of soggying in those glorious 2-3 minutes of eating.

I’ve been a home cheese shredder, microwave nacho maker my entire life, but there’s something about a plate of restaurant nachos with queso cheese (as seen above). The cheese sauce was perfectly dipped so that each chip somehow was covered in queso, one jalapeno, a little black beans, “free-range” chicken breast, and ground beef almost to a point that each one felt like an open-faced sandwich that you would pick off a server’s plate at a catered party.

If I could point out one flaw it would be the separation of guacamole, salsa and sour cream in separate mini-bowls for dipping. How can I also have the appropriate amount of those toppings on my dream nacho open-face sandwich? Without going through the meticulous trouble of fork and knifing one each one?

My take in those unforgettable minutes was to eat as fast as possible dipping and pouring the guac, sour cream and salsa so that I could get as much as possible before anyone else could eat more than I. Isn’t that the beauty of ordering nachos at a bar/restaurant to start your meal?

No comments:

Post a Comment