Friday, November 11, 2011

Tucker's Bistro (Newport, RI)

On special recommendation of my friend Sarah's dad John, I made a reservation for Thursday night at Tucker's Bistro. "Katie, I didn't know you had a nacho blog! These were some excellent f*ing nachos. You have to try this place- Tucker's Bistro." I was in.  As we know I love trying new restaurants and have been leaning towards more "foodie" places lately.  Tucker's fits the bill perfectly.  It's a cute little French bistro right on Broadway in Newport.  The lightening is red and romantic, the art is eclectic, the service is superb and even the bread bowl was beautiful- nice beading work. Now, Tucker's Bistro has a way with foods and interesting combinations of tastes and ingredients. So, I knew these nachos would be one of a kind.  And they definitely were.  The were listed on the menu as Thai Shrimp Nachos and I thought- this is going to be great, very different, so I prepared my taste buds. They were amazing! The portion was perfect for three people I would say and there were five in our group, but we're excellent sharers and seemed to make it work. They came out in a wide set bowl instead of the usual plate which I thought was a nice touch for their presentation score.  Instead of tortilla chips, the nachos were based with crispy wontons topped with sauteed shrimp, red peppers, scallions and leeks all swimming in a coconut Thai red curry broth.  The taste was fantastic! Honestly, it's a little bit difficult for me to describe in words.  The coconut broth was sweet. but not overwhelmingly so.  The wontons had such great texture, taste and stability that they were the perfect base for the six or so jumbo shrimp.  The sweet bell peppers gave the nachos another unique taste as they were soft on the outside, but the right amount of crunch on the inside. Creating that perfect chip or shall I say wonton required shrimp, red pepper, leeks, scallions and then a spoonful of the curry broth in that order.  The flavors exploded in my mouth and each ingredient perfectly complemented the others.  These sure were some delicious nachos and they are definitely the most creative ones I have seen so far in terms of presentation and experimentation with different flavors. I'm giving them a 9.2/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment