Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"Two for Two" Mews Tavern (Wakefield, RI) 2nd review & Brick Alley Pub (Newport, RI) 2nd review

Yesterday was a momentous day for sure.  I had the pleasure of enjoying nachos twice in one day!   Amazingly enough, myself being such a nacho freak, I have never done that before. First stop was the Mews for a farewell lunch with my Aunt and Uncle and little cousin.  The Mews actually has a new menu and unfortunately one of the items that has been affected is the nachos.  The selection has decreased from about four different kinds of nachos to just one.  But, of course we were still getting them.  My Aunt ordered them right away as we sat down at the table, without even asking. Then I proceeded to order a Shirley Temple as did my seven year old cousin. Oddly enough mine came with no cherries and hers appeared to have four swimming at the bottom of the glass.  I think someone at the bar was trying to hint that I may be too old for them.  I will never be too old.  We get the chili on the side because my Aunt is a vegetarian.  The nachos arrived minutes later and they did appear to be much different from the old ones.  The cheese was not burnt on top of the chips as it has been in the past.  The chips were different, much thicker and so was the chili.  The chips were topped with tomatoes and black beans.  The chili was meaty-er too. Always a plus.  The nachos were served with guacamole, salsa, and sour cream on the side. The biggest disappointment was that the cheese was not evenly distributed throughout the layers.  The first layer of chips and cheese was outstanding! However, as you got beneath that first layer there was barely any cheese at all! I swear I saw 30 naked chips under there and it was colddd yesterday.  So for a return visit I definitely see an improvement, but please someone layer that cheese!  They get an even 8/10.  Next stop was the Brick Alley Pub, a personal favorite, with my two friends Sarah and Ariana. Sarah insisted that we had to get the nachos and I didn't disagree in the least.  She was actually with me on my last visit to Brick Alley when we had the Texas chili ones, this time we opted for the "Ultimate."  They came with freshly made tortilla chips (you can always tell the difference), cheddar-jack cheese, refried beans, salsa, sour cream and guacamole.  These nachos were exactly the opposite from the Mews.  We needed to ask for more chips because of the amount of cheese and beans oozing over every layer.  They were amazinggggg.   The guacamole tasted very fresh and the sour cream didn't not overpower the plate as it had on my last visit.  There was a lot of it, but it mixed in great with the salsa and beans.  The chips were buried beneath a beauty of a melted mixture of cheese and beans were a layer below that and I couldn't get enough.  We literally stuffed ourselves.  "Belly-bombed" as Sarah would say.  These nachos were great! The three of us are all very good eaters and we couldn't even finish them!  Definitely an upgrade from last time!! I'm giving them a 9/1/10.  Unfortunately, the picture doesn't work for the Mews, but here is Brick Alley's.

No comments:

Post a Comment