Friday, November 19, 2010

J. Paul's (Georgetown, DC)

Well, this post may get a little bit nasty. But, honestly J. Paul's serves a plate of nachos that are a disgrace to all nacho lovers out there. My roommate and I stopped into J. Paul's about three weeks ago on a Thursday afternoon while shopping for our Halloween costumes. It must have been our lucky day because we were seated right by the open air window, the perfect people watching spot. This table can also a little bit dangerous when the pepper falls right out the window haha..some nice Russian tourists scooped it up for me. Anyways, once again it was lunch time and we were only planning on having a light meal-maybe a sandwich or a salad. But, I peruse menu and guess who staring back at me under the Starters section, I'll give you a hint it wasn't the hummus and pita platter. So I look up at my roommate, we lock eyes, and she immediately knows what I'm about to ask. "Yes, Katie I'll eat some of the nachos with you," she says. Then, I throw out some bs about how I'm really just ordering them all the time to serve blog purposes. So, the nachos arrive shortly after and man I'm at a loss for words. Now, nachos are not classy, they never have been and never will be so don't ever try and plate nachos sophisticatedly, it's embarrassing for them, they're meant to be served in a disorderly pile and sloppily eaten. This chef must have been new in the nacho business or something. So I'll try and paint the picture for you. Thin chips come out on a shiny white plate, in the middle is a bowl of melted cheese and on the side is three smaller ramekins filled with sour cream, salsa and guacamole. Let's get to the biggest problem-the cheese. Now, don't get me wrong I would not have been apposed to a nice bowl of smooth, creamy queso to dip my chips in. But, this cheese was not smooth or creamy, it was dry and hard. The melted cheese concoction was just melted shredded cheddar cheese with some salsa mixed in. If, you don't understand what I'm saying go melt a bowl of shredded cheddar cheese and try to dip a chip in. Most likely the chip will break on first contact with the cheese. That's exactly what happened here, we ended up having to scoop the cheese out with a spoon and place it on our chips, scooping with a spoon was hard enough, never mind attempting a chip. Note to the chef-try some of the plates you serve.
I give them a 4.2/10-simply because the window table was great and the Shirley temples made up for the nachos.

No comments:

Post a Comment